Monday, February 28, 2005

 

Deep Throat

Nope, I don't know who he or she is - but I got your attention, didn't I? Since early last night, my throat has been on a steady decline making it near impossible to talk, eat, swallow, breath; you know - the unimportant stuff. And then there's this coughing fit I go through that feels like someone crawled into my throat and is dragging a really coarse sandpaper across the back of my throat. I'm appealing to everyone out there to suggest a cure. I've listed below what I've tried so far. Thanks. Please just post a comment here with you're best idea to get me talking again ... wait, let me rephrase that, to get be breathing again - I promise to stay silent a little longer. Thanks again.

Here's what I've Tried:

1. Forcing myself to breath through my nose.
2. Gargling with warm saltwater.
3. Gargling with warm water that has crushed aspirin in it.
4. Warm water with honey and lemon.
5. Chloroseptic Spray.
6. Throat Lozenges.
7. Sorbet.
8. Keeping it well-lubricated with water.
9. Soft foods.
10. Sacrificing a live chicken.

Comments:
Jamie couldn't post, but did suggest a Hot Toddy!

1 tbsp Honey
3/4 glass Tea
2 shots Brandy
1 slice Lemon

Brew tea and fill a tall glass 3/4 full. Mix in honey. Mix in brandy shots. Add lemon slice and enjoy.

OR

1 1/2 oz Bourbon Whiskey
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Sugar Syrup
1 slice Lemon
1 Clove
4 oz hot Water

Heat in a heat-resistant glass, and fill with hot water. Add a lemon slice speared with a clove, and serve.

OR

2 oz Rum
1 tsp Sugar
5 1/2 oz boiling Water

Place a sugar cube or equivalent into an Irish coffee cup or mug. Fill 2/3 full with boiling water. Add rum and stir. Garnish with a slice of lemon, dust with nutmeg, and serve.
 
Hi J - if you haven't tried this yet, you might try steam? Boil water in a pan and inhale the steam; you can put a towel over your head to hold the steam in - just don't put your face close enough to burn yourself. You can put pesticide-free eucalyptus leaves in the water, that may ease the congestion and be slightly anaesthetic. I was more comfortable after doing this (although that's not saying much).

Good luck - Margaret
 
Ancient Chinese secret... actually a questionable remedy given to me by an older Chinese gentlement who frequented the public library I once worked at. He heard me coughing and suggested the following.

Drink one cup of warm honey (straight honey, not water with honey) twice a day. In three to four weeks, you'll be all better!

Apparently the idea is to put you into sugar-induced coma until you are no longer sick. ;-)
 
Go and get some Pho.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Get Firefox!